TEX, Elevation: 9,078'
Nestled in the San Juan Mountain in southwest Colorado, the picturesque town of Telluride originated as a mining camp when gold was first claimed in 1876. This was the region’s biggest industry until 1972, when the first ski lifts where installed. There has certainly been a transformation since then, but the spirit of exploration and commitment to preservation of nature remained rooted here. Telluride is coveted by its locals and the visitors that discover this hidden gem, both in the Telluride summer and winter season.
Mountain Life Luxe
Inspirato is a travel club that is truly unrivaled in providing a unique luxury experience. I am convinced it is the absolute ideal choice for family travel. We stayed in the 5-bedroom Gold Hill property. The 7440 square foot home is perched high above Russel Rd. in the Mountain Village neighborhood, with the backyard looking out onto the green of Telluride Golf Club‘s serene 3rd hole. Ridiculously well appointed, this house was the epitome of mountain luxury living.
The 8 Telluride Summer Essentials:
- Use the FREE mountain gondola, which connects Mountain Village and downtown Telluride, to get around. During the Telluride summer and winter, the gondola operates from 7am to midnight!
- Take the 2.5 mile hike to the gorgeous Bear Creek Falls. The route is usually full with locals and their pups, and the view of the falls at the end is breathtaking.
- Have a hearty dinner or grab some sunset cocktails at Allred’s Restaraunt, located at the San Sophia gondola mid-station overlooking the scenic box canyon and town of Telluride.
- Stop into the Telluride Historic Museum to explore this mining town’s history, and check out what events they have going on. On our trip, we attended a screening of Ken Burn’s The National Parks: America’s Best Idea with a Q and A session and book signing with the iconic filmmaker after the film!
- Hit the gym, in-door / out-door pools and hot tubs, or enjoy a massage at the Peaks Resort and Spa in Mountain Village. There is also an “adult water slide” that has some serious velocity. (Access is free for Inspirato members)
- Take a day trip to Troat Lake, at an elevation of nearly 10000′, and experience some phenomenal kayaking, fishing, and hiking.
- Stroll down the Telluride Historic District and enjoy the ambiance of this quintessential mountain town. Explore the various dining and entertainment options on Colorado Ave. while you look up at the beauty of Bridal Veil Falls.
- Kill your drives in the high altitude, but be careful, the 18-hole Telluride Golf Club is a very tight course! (Inspirato members may reserve tee times)